Collisions?

Developer
Oct 9, 2009 at 3:37 AM

How do you want to manage collisions? How creatures living on different scales will behave together? Creatures with similar sizes (0.1x to 10x) should probably collide whereas creatures of dissimilar sizes (<0.1x or >10x) should probably not. What do you think?

Coordinator
Oct 9, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Smaller creatures on top of larger creatures should move with them (i.e. be carried by them) and should add to the effort required by the larger creature to move. A creature large enough to be seen by another creature that tries to mount it could be attacked by it so will probably want to avoid this behaviour. I can't remember how far I got with implementing this. I think it might just work since smaller creatures will fit inside sub-quadrants of those occupied by the larger creature, whereas larger creatures won't. For very small creatures (viruses, etc.) they won't add significantly to the effort required by the larger creature to move, but for larger creatures trying to climb on it will be up to the carrier to decide whether to attack or to carry the passenger.