Mar 7, 2008 at 12:16 PM
I am currently rewriting some of the code for storing the world with a view to making the first cut more suitable for dynamic distribution between processors / machines. Since Organisms can be any size the world can not be statically distributed in fixed size areas as there could be a million creatures in a very small area and as they move around together (for example if they reside on another organism) they need to stay on the same processor to avoid massive bandwidth issues.
Mar 7, 2008 at 5:48 PM
Posted a message on the Terrarium project about where things are at. I'm just wondering from a design perspective where you see the cross over here? Terrarium is a straight upgrade from the original codebase so it might suffer from whatever weirdness MS originally programmed in (and there's things in there that are just plain odd). This project, as far as I understand it, is meant to be a rebuild of the concept, but not to copy the original. Is that a correct assumption?
Mar 8, 2008 at 6:12 PM
If we can use the original source as a specification for what we need to do on the security side and to make sure that we don't miss any areas that would be really good. I think it could save a lot of time having someone produce a design document based on what MS did in terms of IL parsing and then someone else can produce code from that. In the UK that wouldn't be illegal, I guess US copyright laws would be similar.

Your understanding of the general intention is correct.
Mar 10, 2008 at 6:24 PM
I have finished looking at the map storage and am happy with it now. I have considerably simplified it and it should be reasonably easy to follow. I haven't implemented the WCF service for remoting branches of the world but that should be fairly easy now. I'm just going to look at the sets of statistics on organisms before checking in now.
Mar 13, 2008 at 5:00 PM
I'm a bit short on time at the moment, but do please take a look at the post I've created on Organism Statistics and post your comments. You are welcome to contribute things like requirements, background, etc to the Wiki too.
Mar 14, 2008 at 1:20 AM
Looks great. I'm just going to finish up .NET Terrium code cleanup for publishing the project next week. Probably go live on the 21st (I have until April 3rd). When is this one going live?
Mar 14, 2008 at 5:14 PM
I guess next week too. Away most of this weekend but not much to do now.
Apr 11, 2008 at 3:14 PM
Edited Apr 11, 2008 at 3:45 PM
Sorry for the delay in publishing the CreatureKingdom project, but I'm pleased to announce that, as some of you will have noticed, I published a very imperfect cut of the source code earlier this week. I'd not been making progress on getting things to a state where I'd have been happy checking them in so just committed what I had. I think they are Visual Studio 2008 project files but I've used .Net Framework 2.0. I'd be happy to move to 3.5 as long as we leave the Organism and Sample Organism projects on 2.0. So, work items... I propose we focus on things that will make the project look good first so that people we see what we've done will think there is something here worth joining with. Fortunately these items shouldn't take too long. I've posted some suggestions in the appropriate discussion.
Oct 9, 2009 at 4:01 AM

oh oh...

I changed everything to .NET 3.5, including Organism and Sample Organism. I had to use .NET 3.0+ for the WPF implementation of the client. Organisms and sample organisms are also .NET 3.5 because they render brushes that can be used nicely in the WPF client. I hope it's okay with you.

Oct 9, 2009 at 11:20 AM

As far as I remember my only reason for leaving those two projects on 2.0 was to allow people who don't have 3.5 development environments to play the game. Since a year and a half later there are now free development environments for 3.5 and most people will have upgraded I think we're OK to move on. Let's leave those two projects at 3.5 and not go to 4.0 for a while though.