Design Suggestions

Developer
Mar 6, 2008 at 7:00 PM
Edited Mar 6, 2008 at 7:01 PM
  1. Can we introduce generational mutation into the game?
  2. Can we allow people to participate without having to know how to code?

Can we have enough variation in behavior via critter parameters to allow people to enjoy the simulation without writing custom code
Can we allow people to define simple behaviors using graphical pseduo code blocks. Basically, can we allow people to create a critter "mashup"?

Check out MS Popfly mashup tool for an idea of what I mean...

Coordinator
Mar 7, 2008 at 11:11 AM
1. Simple generational mutation is included in my existing code
2. I think this is a seperate project to follow on from this one - a graphical programme to generate organism assemblies from a set of tunable parameters and upload them to the game server on behalf of the user.
Mar 17, 2008 at 3:31 PM
It's more work, but you could build a design surface in VS2008 for people to "drag and drop" organisms and their attributes. This would probably be the cats meow for this project. Let developers build the system visually. Learning developers can just set attributes and accept the default behaviors, hard core guys can dig into the code (still intially dragging and dropping parts of an organism visually) and tweak the behaviour to create the ultimate fighting creature! Check out the Presenter First DSL project for an example:
http://www.codeplex.com/p1dsl
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2008 at 11:14 PM
There could be some milage in that and we should think about how components could be used to implement parts of the functionality of an Organism, but I still think this would be best done as a seperate project, even if it shipped in the main release.