Areas for Development

Coordinator
Mar 5, 2008 at 10:00 AM
Please discuss which areas need developing and how they can be divided up here. Please create new threads for any discussion about how to do the specific areas of development.
Developer
Mar 6, 2008 at 2:06 PM
Nathan,

I like the front page quite a bit. The high level design goals are quite encouraging.
Coordinator
Apr 11, 2008 at 2:19 PM
I propose we focus on things that will make the project look good first so that people we see what we've done will think there is something here worth joining with. Fortunately these items shouldn't take too long:
  • finish off ImageRenderer
  • while we're at it, make sure that IRenderer implementations can't draw outside of the area of their Organism (guess this can't be done by setting a clipping rectangle since the implentation could always reset that? If so then we need to create a new Graphics object for each organism and blt the contents into the main output)
  • add a simple second sample organism so that the samples can interact (I have one but it is too complicated to include as a sample)
  • create a bitmap or wmf for each of our sample organisms and use ImageRenderer to show them
  • create a logo / icon for the project
  • make the world form look nice (give it a background image, add zoom and pan controls using the ViewPort Bounds property)
After that we need to look at a WPF interface (I've made a start but not checked it in) and security - someone needs to get their head around IL parsing and how that was used in the original Terrarium project without doing anything that will make this a derivative work.
Apr 14, 2008 at 8:03 AM
I know a guys who was also interested in a project line this when I looked at it. He was quite good at graphics and the like. I'll forward this thread to him and see if he would like to get involved as well.

I like the fact that you organisms can be small enough to be bacteria on other organisms. That just opens it up so much. I have not been able to run the app yet though, the place where I'm working is still stuck with VS 2005. I'll try and run it tonight at home.

Could you possibly post some of your design documentation here though?

David

nathanjphillips wrote:
I propose we focus on things that will make the project look good first so that people we see what we've done will think there is something here worth joining with. Fortunately these items shouldn't take too long:
  • finish off ImageRenderer
  • while we're at it, make sure that IRenderer implementations can't draw outside of the area of their Organism (guess this can't be done by setting a clipping rectangle since the implentation could always reset that? If so then we need to create a new Graphics object for each organism and blt the contents into the main output)
  • add a simple second sample organism so that the samples can interact (I have one but it is too complicated to include as a sample)
  • create a bitmap or wmf for each of our sample organisms and use ImageRenderer to show them
  • create a logo / icon for the project
  • make the world form look nice (give it a background image, add zoom and pan controls using the ViewPort Bounds property)
After that we need to look at a WPF interface (I've made a start but not checked it in) and security - someone needs to get their head around IL parsing and how that was used in the original Terrarium project without doing anything that will make this a derivative work.